Accidental Death Insurance

MTK | September 25, 2007

Q: Can "Liaison Traveler" policy be used as a short term life insurance policy while changing jobs? That policy is intended for international travelers. Does the coverage apply even if I do not travel but am in an accident here at home?

A: No, the "Liaison Traveler" policy on the international medical insurance page at provides coverage up to $500,000 of accidental death protection. The policy can be purchased for 3, 6 or 12 months at a time. Coverage is issued immediately online at a typical cost of about $60 every three months (actual price depends on age and amount of coverage). The coverage can be cancelled at any time. The accidental death benefits apply regardless of whether associated with travel. The reason this insurance is often used by people changing jobs is that it is fast, inexpensive and covers the most likely cause of death in the near term for a younger person who is in-between jobs. Additionally, it can be retained longer after the job change to keep extra coverage in force.

For coverage in the U.S. just use a regular inexpensive term life insurance that offers easy online enrollment plan like GTL and just cancel it when you no longer need the coverage.


Get your free quotes

Are you currently insured?

We work with trusted
companies like: